Anil Agarwal is one the most popular name in the blogging industry. He is listed in the top blogger of india and featured on some reputable and famous brands like SEMrush, WPX, and Forbes.
I got an opportunity to interview with Anil Agrawal the man behind BloggersPassion.
Read this interview with Anil Agarwal to learn some advance blogging strategies that helps you and your blog.
1. By the way, you are a famous blogger, but tell our users about yourself.
Thanks a lot Ayush for having me on your blog.
I have been doing blogging for more than 15 years now. I started with free blogs on Blogger.com and later moved to self hosted WordPress blogs.
I have 15 years of experience in SEO and due to my SEO skills, I get into blogging.
I started working on BloggersPassion.com in 2010, HostingMonks.com in 2019 and MakeBlogging.com in September 2020.
You can know more in detail about me and BloggersPassion from here.
2. How did you get into blogging?
After finishing my master degree in computers, I started my career in SEO profile with a company in Gurgaon. As part of my job profile, I started using free blogging sites like Blogger.com and WordPress.com to create backlinks for the target websites.
This is how I was introduced to the world of blogging. Once I realized the full potential of blogging, I started using them to learn all the basic concepts of blogging.
3. How did you come up with the name bloggerspassion?
Ayush, BloggersPassion was earlier owned by one of my online friends. He got a Government job and was not interested in working any more on this blog.
So I took over BloggersPassion from him in 2010 for an amount of INR 25000.
For the last 10 years, I’ve been putting my efforts to improve the traffic and its revenue.
4. Tell us about your blogging journey
I started my blogging journey in 2005 with free blogs on Blogger.com. I was blogging part time for many years. From September 2018, I took blogging as a full time career.
During my struggle days, I got the knowledge about blogging related concepts with Blogger.com blogs. Later I started using Self hosted WordPress blogs.
In 2011, I sold one of my self hosted blogs in the Make Money Online niche via Flippa to a UK guy for an amount of $35,000 due to some funds urgency.
On BloggersPassion, we started monetizing it via Google Adsense. But when we were banned from Adsense, we started using other Adsense alternatives. We started making money from my blog via banner ads, text link ads, paid reviews etc.
Later we got into affiliate marketing. For the last five years, most of the revenue on my blogs is coming while selling affiliate products.
For the last couple of years, I have been able to earn $10,000 plus every month from my blogs.
Every year I used to make $10,000 plus revenue while promoting web hosting related Black Friday deals.
5. What are the ways do you use to monetize your blog?
Ayush currently most of revenue on my blogs is coming while selling affiliate products. We are promoting web hosting, SEO tools, WordPress Themes & Plugins and few other digital marketing related affiliate products on our blogs.
From February 2020, we started launching our premium eBooks. So far we launched premium eBooks on SEO, Keyword Research and Affiliate Marketing. Idea behind eBooks launch was to create a few products of our own.
From eBooks sales only so far we made $10,000 plus revenue.
Next year, we are planning to create premium courses around SEO and affiliate marketing.
6. Describe your writing process, from concept to publishing.
On BloggersPassion, we do content around Blogging, SEO, Affiliate Marketing and Web Hosting related topics.
- First of all I will decide the topic idea which is generally decided on the basics of that topic’s relevance with our blog, search volume for target terms and our chances of ranking for target terms. I also keep a check on whether we can earn some revenue from that content in the coming days.
- I will share the keyword research, broad outline, few references, internal links and my findings about the topic we are writing about with my content team.
- They will create the content in Google Doc and will share the same to me for review once they are done with the writing part. I will review the content from my end and if major changes are needed, I will send the same to them for modifications.
- Once we are happy with the content, they will submit that content via WordPress Dashboard. I will review the content to make sure that content is going to make my blog readers and search engines bots happy.
- After publishing the content, I will link to it from a few old posts in a natural way and then will share it on my social handles.
7. What is the best strategy that worked amazingly to get more traffic to your blog?
Mostly I target long tail keywords while creating contents on my blog. I avoid targeting broad or competitive keywords. So I’m able to rank for lots of keywords on the basics of contents only.
And for a few keywords where I’m not able to rank, I try to build some high quality backlinks for them.
If you own a new website or are struggling to get more traffic from Google search, I would suggest you work on topic ideas where you see new websites ranking in top 10. If new websites can rank for a set of keywords, you can also rank for them.
8. What do you find the most difficult aspect of blogging?
Blogging is unpredictable. You can never decide the success of your content from your end. Every time I publish new content on my blog, I feel it will do really well on Google Search or on Social media.
But that does not happen. Few posts do well while others take lots of time to see some traffic coming from search engines.
Since 80% of traffic on my blogs come from Google search. So huge dependency on organic traffic. And you know the Google team keeps making too many updates every now and then. This results in a change in organic rankings. Sometimes it goes up and sometimes it goes down.
From my end I’m trying to work on my blogs in a way that they stay free from Google Algo updates in the long run.
9. What is the best way to build a blog as a brand?
To build a better brand in 2020 and in coming years, focus more on spreading words about your brand than individual contents.
Try to be everywhere and build a strong presence on few networks where you can connect with your target audience. It could be a Facebook Group, a YouTube Channel, an email list or even a Telegram channel will work.
10. Suggest some must-have blogging resources.
Let me share few relevant resources around blogging here:
- GoDaddy or Namecheap for domains
- WPX Hosting or Bluehost to host your site (depending on your budget and needs)
- SEMrush or Ubersuggest as an SEO tool (again depends upon your paying capacity and needs)
- Convertkit or Mailchimp for email marketing
- Rank Math as SEO plugin
- Elementor as Page Builder
- GeneratePress or Astra as WordPress theme
- Social Snap as social sharing plugin
- WP Rocket or W3 Total Cache as caching plugin
I hope you find this Interview with Anil Agarwal helpful. Here he shared some blogging strategies and his writing process that definitely helps you to improve.
Stay connect with us to read some more interview with another pro bloggers.